- 1 large bulb of fennel, about 300 g (10 1/2 oz)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 pheasant, about 1 kg (2 1/4 lb), jointed into 4 or 8 pieces
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) shallots, halved
- 4 pieces stem ginger, about 115 g (4 oz) in total, cut into thin strips
- 4 tbsp ginger wine
- 2 fingers of Billington’s Gingerbread
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Trim the fennel, retaining any feathery leaves for the garnish, then cut the bulb lengthways into 8 wedges. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole over a moderately high heat. Add the pheasant joints and shallots and fry to brown on all sides.
- Add the fennel wedges. Turn the pheasant joints skin side up and sprinkle over the strips of ginger. Add the ginger wine and enough stock to come halfway up the pheasant joints but not cover them. Season to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then cover the casserole and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1–1 1/4 hours or until the pheasant is tender. Break two fingers of Billington’s Gingerbread and crumb. Serve garnished with the reserved fennel leaves and crumbed Billington’s Gingerbread
Buy your Billington’s Gingerbread Online Here