Image – Mary Berry
For the crumb:
- 300g Billington’s Gingerbread
- 150g butter, melted
For the filling:
- 200g dark chocolate
- 650g cream cheese
- 600ml crème fraiche
- 4 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 6 balls preserved stem ginger, finely chopped, plus 1 tbsp syrup from the jar
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/Gas 3. Line and grease a 23cm spring form cake tin.
- Crush the biscuits to fine crumbs in a food processor or place in a clean plastic bag and bash with a rolling-pin. Transfer to a mixing-bowl and stir in the melted butter. With the back of a spoon, press the crumbs into the base and 3-4 cm up the sides. Wrap the outside in cling film and place in a roasting-tin half-full of water.
- Melt the chocolate for the filling in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cool. Whisk together the cream cheese, crème fraîche, eggs, sugar, melted chocolate, ginger, syrup and chopped chocolate in a large mixing-bowl. Sift the flour over it and stir in, then pour into the crumb case. Bake for 1 to 1¼ hours until set but with a slight wobble in the centre. Turn off the heat and leave to cool in the oven, then refrigerate for at least three hours.
- Once chilled, shave the dark chocolate into curls on top of the cheesecake.
Buy your Billington’s Gingerbread Online Here